This page advertises local events and activities organised by 3rd parties, including other local u3as, that may be of interest to Watford Park u3a members.
As these are not organised by Watford Park u3a, we have no control over them, so some general disclaimers apply.
Third Age Trust News and Events
The Third Age Trust Newsletters can be found here You can register to receive these personally -
The latest News from the East, the Third Age Trust newsletter for those of us in the East of England Region, can be found here and our Rep's visits at https://u3asites.org.uk/files/e/east-of-england/docs/outandaboutwithourtrusteeacrosstheregion.pdf
The latest East of England Bulletin can be found here
The latest programme of online learning events can be found here
Wymondham u3a have prepared some really special events to celebrate Life Long Learning and are offering places to members of all u3as across our region. So if you are visiting Norfolk you may be interested in these. Dates and Venues are displayed on the linked posters
Special Interest Day Development of English Language
Do you know of an event to publicise? Ask a committee member.
Frogmore Paper Mill
A series of local history talks. They are informal sessions, with a fish and chip supper and located in the Tudor Room at Apsley Mill Cottage. (Do be aware that there is a flight of stairs to this room). The Cottage is the white building with the Basildon Bond clock, opposite Apsley Station. The speaker is Mike Stanyon
- 26th April 7-9.30pm A Lion Goes to War. Napoleon to World War II
- 24th May 7-9.30pm Riot and Insurrection in Hertfordshire. The Swing Riots in the Chiltern Area
- 14th June 7-9.30pm The Basildon Bond Story The development of this well-known stationery brand
- 6th Sept 7-9.30pm The Arrival of the Railways in West Hertfordshire London to Birmingham, Apsley Station and the Croxley Paper Mill internal rail system.
Concert by Amersham A Acappella and Cottontown Chorus
High Wycombe Town Hall 2nd March at 4.30pm and 8pm. For further information see this poster
Watford Museum on Tour
The mayor announces "We're thrilled to introduce Watford Museum on Tour, a series of events starting with Dig to Discover on Thursday 26 and Friday 27 October at Cassiobury Park Hub. The events will help bring the town's history alive and will be accessible to everyone in the community, made possible by The National Lottery Heritage Fund, with thanks to National Lottery Players". For more information see the Museum Website
Mayor's Newsletter Watford residents may find it useful to sign up for the Mayor's Newsletter Scroll down and complete the online form
Help for your home
Do you want to find reliable help for jobs around the home from a safe source?
The following guides from Age UK may be useful.
Gardening Service Handyman Service
Items Organised by Other Local u3as
Watford Museum Collections Inventory Volunteer :
The museum is excited to announce that we are recruiting volunteers to help us with the inventory project at the museum which is being undertaken as part of the bigger museum relocation project. We are looking for volunteers who could contribute a full day or half day (4 hours morning or afternoon) one day a week. They are looking to start our volunteers around the week of October 9th.
The main task will be photographing objects and/or adding data to an excel spreadsheet. The tasks can be repetitive and requires good attention to detail. Onsite training will be provided, but you should be comfortable using a digital camera or willing to learn. Likewise, basic computer skills are needed for the data entry, and familiarity with excel would be an asset. If you are interested in learning more about the role please email Olivia Main at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call and leave us a message 01923 232297. The full role description and application form can be found on our website. If you would like an informal chat to cover any details and answer any questions, we are happy to arrange one. We will also require two character references (friends, neighbours, employers). We look forward to hearing from you!" Further information here
School Crossing Patrol Service
Do you have some spare time? The Council's School Crossing Patrol Service is currently recruiting See here for more information
Golden Volunteer Local volunteering opportunities organised through Three Rivers Trust
Volunteer with See Around Britain
Peace Garden in Watford are looking for volunteers, Wednesdays 10am-1pm, some Sundays 3-5pm
This type of funeral is often mentioned but not always understood. In this article by Peter Lewin, he writes in favour of the practice from his own recent experience. The whole article can be found here
- Love Watford Radio is a new community radio station and is looking for volunteers, either 'in front' or 'behind' the microphone
- Take a Simple Drive to a Healthier Life has been written by an Australian doctor to give advice on living a healthy lifestyle. It is an easy read and we hope you will find the advice helpful, but can take no responsibility for its accuracy.
These disclaimers apply:
- Unless an item clearly states that it is a Watford Park u3a initiative, assume that it is not.
- Watford Park U3A is not liable for any aspect of any item on these pages which has not been organised by Watford Park u3a.
- Content on these pages is provided purely as an information service. Inclusion of an item does not constitute a recommendation.
- Members are expected to exercise normal common sense and caution in using the information provided and ensuring they are adequately covered by insurance where appropriate.
- Inclusion of material in an e-Noticeboard page is always subject to non-negotiable approval by the Executive Committee.